Monday, August 14, 2006

Day 3- "That"


Day 3- "That"
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I realized what the next word in the sentence was. How in the world are you supposed to write about a word like that, "That?" Wow, umm...hmm? I guess the thing that comes to my mind is that when I write I use the word "that" a lot. Already I've used that word 6 times, that's a lot for three sentences. This could get confusing as well, since I'll be using "that" as part of my sentences as well as the subject. I'll put it in "" when I use it as a subject! OK, we use "that" a lot. We use it mostly to generalize what we are talking about. Instead of saying, "See the little speck of bright pink plastic on the blue table," we simplify by pointing and saying "That." Can you see Paul now, pointing and saying "that?" He's pulling in the Ephesians attention directing, pointing preparing for what "that" is. "That out of His glorious riches..." Make sense? The Greek word for "that" is elaborated on by Strongs this way, "in order that (denoting the purpose or the result): KJV - albeit, because, to the intent (that), lest, so as, (so) that, (for) to. Do you see it? I think my favorite one is "to the intent." Slip that in there to replace "that." Paul bowed his knees with the intent. OH, so Paul had a purpose for praying. He wasn't idly petitioning God with Aunt Millie's broken finger nail. Or that the church budget would work out, or that his wife would show up soon, or many of those things we "pray" about that really we have no intent for praying them. Think of how many prayers we pray without intent. They usually go something like this, "Dear Jesus, thanks for this day. Thanks for the food. Thanks for the pretty flowers. Let us do your will. In Jesus name we pray, Amen." Without intent. May we never be accused of praying without intent. "That" is a little more special than you thought huh? I pray with intent! Let THAT be the way, the denoting, the course of your prayers. OK, that is all I can think of for today!