Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Day 1- "I"

Ephesians 3:16-17a "I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith." NIV

This I is Paul. He is saying "Me, not Peter, not John Doe, not the gas station attendant, Me, Paul. The guy who led you to Christ in the first place." He'll go on to say what the subject's, I, action is. But for now, although it is kind of a boring word I'll concentrate on "I" for a bit. I cannot imagine the relationship between the Ephesians Christians and Paul. He had led them to Christ, discipled some of them and baptized them. I remember the guy who baptised me, Pastor Glenn. I barely remember him but I have truly fond memories of him and greatly respect and admire him. I can't comprehend being told of the Messiah for the first time by someone and then having him disciple and train me in the "Messiah's Way." And then in this guy's busy schedule he takes time to write a very personal letter to me. I would be so honored if Pastor Glenn were to write me a letter after all these years, and if he were to encourage me by saying, "I, me, Pastor Glenn, not Peter, not John Doe, not the gas station attendant, BUT I, Pastor Glenn, am praying for you to have xyz character trait." What a wonderful word, I. It is so specific and I am excited to see the action of this subject "I." (P.S. As I was thinking further about this word I--which is Paul--I realized that throughout Paul's Letters he continually reminds his listeners of his credentials and trustworthiness. He is a well qualified person and what he goes on to say should be highly valued!).